Hormone imbalance: symptoms and how to treat it
Our hormones control our sleep patterns, appetite, mental health, mood, stress, libido, and everything in between. So, as you can imagine, when your hormones are out of balance, it can affect your whole body.
The home doctor experts at House Call Doctor have all of the information you need to know about hormone imbalances.
What are the symptoms?
There are a range of symptoms you may experience, depending on which glands and hormones are affected. Symptoms may include:
- Unexplained weight loss or gain
- Difficulty sleeping
- Sensitivity to cold and heat
- Changes in blood pressure
- Dry skin or rashes
- Changes in heart rate
- Weak bones
- Anxiety and irritability
- Unexplained and long-term fatigue
- Reduced sex drive
- Changes in appetite.
What causes hormone imbalances?
Everyone will experience natural periods of hormonal imbalance at different points in their life. There are several medical conditions that can impact your hormones and also certain lifestyle habits and environmental factors that may also play a role. These factors can include; food allergies, unhealthy diet, medical history, excessive alcohol consumption or drug use, and chronic stress.
How to treat hormone imbalances?
Treatment options will vary for each person. For women, treatment options can include:
- Hormone control or birth control
- Vaginal estrogen
- Hormone replacement medications
- Anti-androgen medications.
Testosterone medications are usually used for men experiencing hormonal imbalances.
Aside from medication, there are a number of lifestyle changes that may help reduce the likelihood and symptoms of hormonal imbalances. These includes:
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Exercising regularly
- Eating a nutritious and balanced diet
- Reducing and managing stress
- Using natural skincare and health products
- Prioritizing sleep
- Cutting back on alcohol
- Considering how caffeine affects you.